Sunday, June 27, 2010

The dashboard melted but we still had the radio

Hayyy. I'm back !!!

Vacation in Fl was awesome. Ever single day they said that the oil was going to hit the beach, but it never did during our stay. That was really a lesson in enjoying the Earth, because we didn't know if we would get to enjoy this gorgeous beach again the next day. So we just lived it.

Today I did something I've been thinking about and talking about doing for a very long time: volunteering. I went to my old Episcopalian school/church kitchen and made 200 sandwiches for the "homeless" with my former Christian Ed teacher, former Girl Scout troop leader, and two or three more incredible individuals. I put homeless in quotes because although they do have homes, they are still considered homeless because they are living in government subsidized housing. I knew my town was incredibly poor, but I had no idea we had projects. Because children are able to get food during the week through programs, and there is Christ's Kitchen on Saturday, they were left without a meal provided on Sunday. That is why this group started. They started off making only about 60 sandwiches, then increased to 200. Soon they will have to increase again. I can say honestly that I have never volunteered a day in my life. What called me to get started was cleaning out my apartment and seeing how much stuff I had. It was ridiculous. There are few situations in my life where I have felt so touched as I did today, putting food straight in to the people's hands. Sure some of these people reeked of marijuana, had tear drop tattoos which represent that they've killed someone for gang initiation, or had immaculately done nails and hair. But were they and their children still hungry? Yes ! It just doesn't matter sometimes. They still need it, they still need to know that people are going to come every Sunday when they say they are going to come, and show love. Right now, coming home to my air conditioned two story house, my mom making a delicious dinner of meat and vegetables on our Viking stove..... then going up to a room of my own, plugging in my iPhone to a stereo then getting on my computer to upload a photo from my Canon Digital Rebel from my weeklong beach vacation.... it's all too much right now. I just have to remember that my family has worked so incredibly hard for what we have. So all I can do is be thankful and give back when I can.

2 comments: